1: What is in scope for this project?
Goals established for this project are to:
• Identify and manage FSUF departmental funds with spendable cash balances in OMNI while ensuring donor restrictions are met.
• Interface spendable cash in FSUF departmental funds to OMNI Financials.
• Control spending of FSUF departmental funds in OMNI at the department, fund, and project level.
• Budget annually for FSUF departmental funds at the department level.
• Allow FSUF staff to maintain approval authority for requisitions, travel authorizations/expense reports, payment request forms, departmental journals, and HR accounting transactions via applicable workflow.
• Enhance University reports and queries by allowing visibility of FSUF departmental funds with spendable cash balances.
• Support processes that adhere to applicable statute, regulation, and policy.
2: What is out of scope for this project?
Project exclusions (transactions/activity NOT coming into OMNI) are:
• FSUF operational activity. Only activity that affects spendable cash balances in FSUF departmental funds will be brought into OMNI. All FSUF activity related to their business/operations will continue to be handled by Foundation Accounting staff.
• Revenue activity and all related information on donors and specific donations will continue to be recorded in FSUF’s financial and donor systems and made available via the corresponding online reports.
• FSUF deferred gift funds, trust funds, or other funds that do not have spendable cash balances or are not identified as FSUF departmental funds. These funds will be added to OMNI in the future should funds be received and need to be made available for spending.
• Quasi-endowment transfers will continue to be administered by FSUF in the same manner as they are now.
• Research Foundation funds
• Emergency loans administered by the Employee Assistance Program.
• Endowed fund activity, including endowed fund balances, and endowed fund investment earnings.
3: What OMNI Chartfields will be used to record the Foundation funds?
A new Fund Code and new Department IDs will be established for the FSUF fund activity to run through in OMNI. Each FSUF fund will be setup as a unique Project ID. Details follow:
• New Fund Code – 599
• Department IDs – Department Area (generally the first three digits of the DeptID) then 9xx
• Example – 187900 College of Music FSUF Funds
• Project Code – Fxxxxx (Current Foundation 5-digit Fund ID)
• Example – F04050 Band Alumni Fund
• A new PC Business Unit will also be established – ‘FSDF1’.
• Additional notes
• Each Project ID should only have activity on one corresponding DeptID.
• Existing OMNI DeptIDs should not have FSUF fund activity recorded in them.
4: How will workflow be configured?
Approvers will be maintained at the Department (not Project) level. In this sense, workflow will work the same way that existing workflow is setup in the various systems for other University funds. Additional approvals will be required from Foundation staff (similar to the additional approvals required for C&G funds by Sponsored Research).
Initially, the Budget Manager and all Authorized Signers established for each new FSUF DeptID will be setup in the various systems as the authorized approvers for the FSUF Departmental Funds associated with that DeptID.
Please note that the exact workflow setup will vary based on the system/process (OMNI HR, SpearMart, etc.).
Please also note that the usual mechanisms to update departmental roles and workflow approvers will be available for these new DeptIDs after go-live if there are any issues with the initial setup.
5: Can we add additional levels of approval for Foundation Fund transactions?
At this time, no special departmental workflow is being implemented for Foundation Funds. Existing workflow setup in the various systems and modules (OMNI HR, SpearMart, etc.) will be available.
6: How will we change approvers on the new Foundation departments?
Approvers on FSUF departments would be updated/changed via the same mechanisms currently in place for existing University departments/funds in OMNI.
7: Will existing OMNI Fund 547 continue to be utilized after go-live of this project?
No. Fund 547 will be “sunset” and replaced by corresponding Project IDs established in new Fund 599.
Appointments currently established on a Fund 547 Project that extend past June 30, 2018, will need to be re-established on the corresponding Fund 599 Department and Project ID. Every effort will be made to have these Chartfields setup as early as possible in order to allow sufficient time for appointments to be managed. Additional guidance on this process will be provided prior to go-live.
8: Will I have to budget for these funds?
Budgets will need to be entered in Hyperion for each new Department ID established for Foundation funds; however, there will be no budget entry at the FSUF Fund (Project ID) level. So, if your DeptID has ten FSUF Departmental Funds associated with it, and you anticipate spending a total of $100,000 collectively from those ten funds, a budget of $100K would be entered at the DeptID level.
9: Will the processing of Foundation-funded scholarships change?
At this time, it is anticipated that the processes and forms used to request and authorize Foundation-funded scholarships will not change. Reports detailing scholarship recipients will still be available via the Foundation online reports used by departments today.
10: Will we be required to issue a Purchase Order for purchases and/or a Travel Authorization for travel reimbursements from Foundation funds?
FSU departments will be required to follow all University policies and procedures when expending FSUF departmental funds, including:
• Competitive procurement thresholds and processes; contract and requisition business rules
• Limitations on which types of expenses will be allowed to be paid unencumbered
• Directives on travel, including pre-approval via a Travel Authorization
• Employee reimbursements
11: If we pay a vendor that is not established in OMNI with Foundation funds, will they need to be setup in OMNI before they can be paid after 6/30/18?
Yes. If there are any vendors that your department pays regularly from Foundation funds that are not setup in OMNI, a Vendor Authentication/Profile form will need to be completed for them. You are encouraged to initiate this process prior to July 2018 in order to avoid delays in vendor payments.
12: Will the Foundation still provide some FSU employees a PCard?
No. Any Foundation-issued PCards will be cancelled prior to go-live. This is expected to occur after the May statement billing date closes out on or about May 20, 2018.
13: Will FSU PCards be able to be used to spend Foundation funds?
Yes. Charges on FSU PCards will be allowed on the new Fund 599. If exceptions to purchases normally prohibited are required on certain University-issued PCards (e.g. for some Deans and/or Directors), a waiver will need to be requested through PCard Administration.
14: Will the Foundation still provide petty cash?
No. Any Foundation issued petty cash funds will be collected and closed out prior to go-live. If your department requires the use of petty cash funded by FSUF departmental funds, you will need to request a cash advance through FSU Accounts Payable.
15: How will this new process affect the quarterly spending distributions that we receive on our endowed funds held by the Foundation?
Quarterly distributions will now be made available for spending as of the date they are posted to OMNI, approximately 3 to 4 weeks following the quarter end date. For example, quarterly distributions for June 30, 2018 will be reflected in OMNI and made available for spending on Foundation funds the third or fourth week of July 2018.
16: Will I be able to see Foundation fund balances on existing reports and/or queries?
It is still too early in the process to identify specific reports and queries that will be added or revised to allow visibility of Foundation funds; however, the goal is to make these types of reports/queries available at go-live. Daily automated feeds to and from the Foundation’s financial system and OMNI will begin immediately following conversion which will ensure the expenditure data captured in OMNI can be viewed from the Foundation online reports currently in place.
17: Who will initiate the set-up of new projects/funds and how will we know when they are “ready” in OMNI?
The exact mechanism for requesting the establishment of a new Foundation fund in OMNI is not yet known at this time; however, Foundation staff will continue to coordinate and manage this process.