Departmental Online Journal Entries (DOLs) are used primarily to adjust the ledger for transactions already recorded. This provides flexibility for University departments to authorize various interdepartmental transactions and make corrections to the General Ledger, as necessary. This action helps facilitate accurate record keeping at the departmental/project code/chartfield level. All DOLs should be processed using the Departmental Online Journal Entry form. Specific instructions on completing this form are available here.
There are a number of general guidelines associated with these types of transactions:
- Corrections via DOL should not take place before the original transaction has been posted to the General Ledger. It is always preferable for the original source transaction to be corrected whenever possible (e.g. via a Change Order for an AP journal or an adjustment to an Expense Report for an EX journal).
- Correction transfers cannot be made from a department other than the one from which the expenditure was originally made.
- Corrections should be processed in a timely manner and as soon as possible after the original transaction has been recorded.
- Documentation of an DOL must contain evidence that it is appropriate:
- Reference must be made to the original transactions supported by the original journal, voucher, or expense report number and justification for the transfer. In addition, documentation supporting the original transaction as recorded in OMNI should be attached to the DOL form.
- A breakdown of journal examples, as well as recommended tools for finding backup and supporting documentation can be found in the grid below. Click on the hyperlink under “Type of Request” to see a specific example of each transaction.