As fiscal year end approaches, the Controller’s Office Auxiliary Accounting team would like to remind departments of internal PO requirements and resources.
- Internal, auxiliary purchase orders (POs) will be closed at the end of June and will not be available in the new fiscal year.
- Note: This year, for the first time, there is a small number of internal, auxiliary POs on sponsored projects that will roll into FY2020. If this applies to your department, the Budget Manager has been contacted. If you have questions about this change, please email email@example.com.
- Departments need to create new internal, auxiliary requisitions for ongoing/recurring or expected charges
- The Controller’s Office wants to make this as easy as possible, and has provided:
- Step-by-Step Tutorials
- Requisition Entry Workshops
- Queries that do the work, mapping historical expenses to the correct internal, auxiliary vendor/supplier and account code
When to Take Action
Departments will need to re-enter requisitions for all ongoing/recurring and expected charges as early as the requisition pre-entry window from Monday, June 24th - Wednesday, June 26th and no later than Wednesday, July 10th, 2019.
Do not enter requisitions for FY2020 until the pre-entry window begins. Requisitions entered before the pre-entry window will be closed, regardless of PO due date or other information entered on the requisition.
If your department is changing the funding source used to pay for an ongoing/recurring or pending charge (for example, a copier lease or a telephone bill, or a charge that is outstanding but has not yet been processed by the auxiliary), your department must let the selling auxiliary know of the change.
Why? Because the budget information behind the old PO is the link the auxiliary uses to automate finding the new PO in the new fiscal year. If that information changes, the link breaks and there is no way for the auxiliary to know which PO to charge. Therefore, if your department plans to change the funding source, follow the procedures of the selling auxiliary (e.g., ITS TSR, OBS Copier Update Form, emailing the auxiliary, etc.) to ensure they can find the new PO.
- Step-by-Step Tutorials are available on the Controller’s Office Training webpage to assist in Determining Requisition Amounts as well as creating requisitions for each auxiliary.
- Internal Requisition Work Sessions
Auxiliary Accounting is once again hosting workshops where departments can ask questions and work through entering their internal requisitions with one-on-one assistance. Space is limited to the first 10 who sign up for each session!
To sign up for a session, please navigate to http://my.fsu.edu/ > HR > Learning & Development > Request Training Enrollment and search by course name “Internal Requisition Work Sess” or course ID BTAUX1. Follow the prompts to sign up for the course.
Internal Requisition Work Sessions
- June 24th, 2019 2:00-4:00pm
- June 25th, 2019 8:30-10:30am
- June 26th, 2019 8:30-10:30am
Additional Tips & Hints
- Florida State has not yet implemented SpearMart for internal vendors; therefore, departments must enter these requisitions in OMNI.
- This requirement applies to all auxiliaries using OMNI to bill departments for goods/services. For a list of auxiliaries requiring an internal, auxiliary PO, see this document.
- FSU is changing its copier contract partner to RJ Young in a phased implementation through the fall 2019. Regardless of when your copier changes to the new contract, departments will only need one PO (a new PO is not needed for the new copier). For questions about rates and the copier changes, visit the Office of Business Services Departmental Copier Services website.
- Encumber as much as is expected to spend in each category for this fiscal year. This sets the funds aside so that you are sure not to run out of budget for these items.
- To determine how much to encumber based upon last year’s expenses, follow the steps outlined in the step-by-step document “Determining Your Requisition Amount” on the Controller’s Office training web page.
- Helpful queries for internal, auxiliary POs:
- To see how much has been spent on an internal PO: FSU_DPT_AUX_INT_PO_EXP_SUM
- To see the remaining encumbrance on an internal PO: FSU_CTRL_AUX_PO_ENC_EXP_1
- Find other dates pertaining to year-end and auxiliary AR/Billing on the Controller’s Office Year End Calendar page; all dates are subject to change, so please check the year-end calendar frequently.
- View our Frequently Asked Questions for additional helpful information.
- Need training on how to manage internal, auxiliary POs? Sign up for BTUIB1 “Understanding Internal Billing” in OMNI HR.
- Please visit our website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if the information on this page does not answer your questions.