The University is pleased to announce that the next phase of the new solution for Auxiliary Accounts Receivable and Billing is rolling out for multiple auxiliaries on July 1st, 2018.
Financial Representatives were notified via a FINREP listserv in May 2018.
How does this impact me?
In late June 2018, the Controller’s Office will close all internal purchase orders (vendor ID’s beginning “AUX”), regardless of association with a sponsored project, remaining encumbrance, or end date on the PO. Additionally, the University is rolling out additional auxiliaries. Therefore, requisitions for fiscal year 2019 will need to be entered by all departments purchasing goods/services from the auxiliaries listed below.
When do I need to take action?
- Requisition entry for current, ongoing, and anticipated expenditures from the above auxiliaries should take place as soon as possible -- as early as the pre-entry window beginning June 25th and ending June 26th, and no later than July 13th, 2018.
- Note: to ensure you experience no interruption in services for Postal Services, your fully approved PO must be in place no later than July 5th.
- The Controller’s Office and selling auxiliaries will monitor departmental requisition activity and will contact departments if the new procedure is not followed.
What do I need to know?
- If you are changing budgets used for pending or ongoing charges (such as copier services or telephone services), you must also let the selling auxiliary know of the budget change using their preferred order mechanism. Follow the procedures of the selling auxiliary (e.g., ITS TSR, OBS, Copier Update Form, emailing the auxiliary, etc) to ensure the budget change is noted.
- Why doesn’t the Purchase Order do this for me? To begin the new year, auxiliaries and the Controller’s Office will work together to map thousands of charges to new PO’s using the department/fund/project information you provided for the charge last year. They cannot know which new PO to use if the funding has changed unless they are notified.
- Requisitions should be blanket-type, with quantity equal to 1, amount equal to the amount you expect to spend, each line flagged as “amount only,” and unit of measure equal to “EA” (do not use DOL, MHR, UNT, etc).
- Florida State University has not yet implemented SpearMart for internal vendors; therefore, requisitions must be entered in OMNI, not SpearMart.
- HR Background Check Info: The collection of the new Purchase Order and Line Numbers will be facilitated by modifying the billing information currently collected in the Background Check Tab in OMNI Job Offers and in the Background Check Request Form. The process to request the initiation of background checks will not change; however, once the new “Smart Onboarding” process is live the Request Form will not be required for hires made through the Smart Onboarding Process as data required to initiate background checks will be collected there. Background Check questions can be directed to Andrew Kapec at email@example.com or 850-644-7938. Thank you.
How do I comply with this requirement?
- Determine required requisition(s) and amounts needed for your department(s). Please review the new, updated instructions to be sure you receive the information you need to complete this task. A step-by-step guide has been created to guide you through this process.
- Enter requisitions/create PO’s for the applicable in accordance with the new internal purchase order process. Detailed training documents have been created for each auxiliary; please review as you enter your requisitions to avoid having to re-enter or correct errors. This should be done as soon as possible - as early as the requisition pre-entry window on June 25-26 and no later than July 13th, 2018.
- Manage (through change orders) and/or create new POs as appropriate on an ongoing basis throughout the year
- IMPORTANT: Due to the implementation of the Foundation to OMNI project, requisitions will need to be created for internal purchases made using Foundation funds.
Which auxiliaries fall under this requirement?
If your department utilizes and/or pays for services from any of the below auxiliaries, fully approved Purchase Orders must be in place before services can be provided.
NEW AUXILAIRIES (effective July 1, 2018):
- HR Background Check (025009)
- HR Background Checks (Criminal history background checks for final candidates of all faculty, AEX, A&P, USPS, OPS, Volunteer, Federal Work Study, and Contractor positions at FSU)
- Photo Services (048004)
- Photo and Video Services (photography, videography, & video editing services)
- Institute of Molecular Biophysics (073003)
- Labs (XRAY, PBF, PEF)
- Condensed Matter & Materials Physics (085001)
- Research & Analysis Services
- Lab Supplies
- Equipment Use
- Adult Learning Evaluation Center (126002)
- Psychoeducational Evaluations (primarily used by Athletics)
- Seminole Productions (182009)
- Audio/Visual Services; Live Performance Services (primarily used by Athletics)
- FSU Coastal & Marine Lab (224002, 224003)
- Vehicle Rentals
- Lab Usage
- Space Rentals
- In State/Out of State Travel
- CAPS Advanced Power Research (225002)
- Research & Analysis Services (Test/Facility Use Days, Shared Simulation Services, Engineering Support Services)
- University Health Services (237%)
- Testing Services (primarily used by Athletics & Facilities)
PREVIOUSLY IMPLEMENTED AUXILIARES: The below auxiliaries are already using the OMNI AR/Billing System, and thus purchase orders must be re-entered for the new year in addition to creating new purchase orders for the auxiliaries listed above.
- The College of Music
- Biological Sciences
- Chemistry & Biochemistry
- The College of Medicine
- Information Technology Services
- Office of Business Services (Copier, Postal, Warehouse, Parking, FSU Card)
What resources are available to support me during this process?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Internal Requisition Entry for each line of business
- Understanding Auxiliary AR/Billing Charges (includes how to view invoice PDF)
- AR/Billing Internal Requisition Work Sessions
- Attend these work sessions to obtain an overview of the Auxiliary AR/Billing Project and receive guidance as you estimate encumbrance amounts and create requisitions for internal purchases for FY 2018-2019. These work sessions are designed to assist departments in fulfilling the new requirement that all internal purchases from the above auxiliaries be preceded by a purchase order.
- Monday, June 25th 2-5pm
- Tuesday, June 26th 8:30-11:30am
- Friday, July 6th 8:30-11:30am
- Tuesday, July 10th 8:30-11:30am
- Location: see OMNI Training Enrollment for location by training session.
- How to sign up:
- Navigate to http://my.fsu.edu > HR > Main Menu > Self Service > Learning & Development > Request Training Enrollment
- Search by course name (Internal Requisition Work Sess) or course number (BTAUX1)
- Select the appropriate session (0001, 0002, 0003, etc)
- Select “Continue” and follow the prompts until your registration is confirmed
- FSU_DPT_AUX_INVOICE_REVIEW – to see what has been invoiced during a period
- FSU_CTRL_AUX_PO_ENC_EXP_2 – to see how much encumbrance remains on a purchase order (filter for your department)
- FSU_DPT_AUX_CHGS_7_1_COHORT – to see how much you’ve spent with the auxiliaries going live on 7/1/18 in order to estimate your encumbrances for FY19
- FSU_DPT_AUX_INT_PO_EXP_SUM – to see how much you’ve spent with auxiliaries that went live prior to 7/1/18 in order to estimate your encumbrances for FY19
What are the benefits to University departments?
There are many benefits to departments, including:
- Enabling encumbrances for internal purchases
- Improved reporting
- Reduced budget errors and time spent researching errors
- Permitting Sponsored Research pre-approval for CAS exemptions by project
- Reduced IDR processing
Over time, additional auxiliaries will be brought on board based upon interest, business processes, requirements, type of auxiliary, and other considerations.
If you should have any questions, please email CTL-AuxiliaryAccounting@fsu.edu, or contact your auxiliary billing representative.