Foreign Travel

Foreign Travel (4-OP-D-2-D Travel - Section O.) – Travel to any country (including Mexico and Canada) outside the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Travel to the noncontiguous U.S. locations of American Samoa, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Wake Island are considered foreign travel for purposes of this policy. Foreign travel must be registered in Concur in advance of the trip, regardless of the funding source. Travel is not allowed to State Sponsors of Terrorism.

Travelers should exercise prudence when traveling to a foreign location. A traveler should review the U.S. Department of State’s Foreign Travel Advisories before making travel arrangements, and understand the risks associated with their destination. FSU recommends that travelers also enroll in the S.T.E.P program. Registration is quick and simple to complete, and allows the U.S. Embassy to send updates regarding emerging events that may impact a destination and/or a traveler's safety. Lastly, FSU recommends that faculty/staff travelers purchase a formof international health insurance to cover the cost of medical needs and potential evacuations while traveling abroad. While FSU cannot reimburse for this expense, a recommended insurance is CISI (which FSU uses for university related student international travel).

Travelers are responsible for knowing visa and passport validity requirements. Check for more information.

Travelers who are also FSU students must comply with the Student International Travel Policy requirements and restrictions. If you have any questions about this process, please email


Air Travel

The Fly America Act (49 U.S.C. 40118) requires that all federally funded travel use a U.S. flag carrier or U.S. flag carrier service provided under a code-share agreement, except under specific situations.  The U.S. has entered into several air transport agreements that allow federal funded transportation services for travel to use foreign air carriers under certain circumstances.  These “Open Skies Agreements” can be viewed on the U.S. General Services Administration’s website.


Lodging and Meals

Meals and Lodging will be reimbursed up to the maximum U.S. Department of State’s Per Diem Rates. When an expense line’s city of purchase is in a foreign country, Concur automatically applies that country’s currency exchange rate as of the transaction date.

When completing itineraries for a traveler’s daily meal allowance, Concur automatically applies the foreign meal rate for the city and country of travel. Foreign meals shall be determined by “where the traveler lays their head at night”.


Currency Converters for Expense Reports

Currency conversion is handled systematically based on the amount specified for the expense in Concur. See the Converting Foreign Currency Transactions guide for more information. The tool below can be used as a reference point.